Friday, August 31, 2012

Today is a New Beginning

When I first started my job, I was hoping it would only be temporary. I was going to use it as a foot in the door, while I looked for a job in my field. Well.... almost 4 years later, I'm still at my job and I can honestly say I HATE it. I work in a kitchen washing dishes, doing prep work for cooks, cleaning, and running a till. It's shift work, so there's really early mornings and some into the evening shifts. Every other week I work 7 days in a row and get 2 off. I also work 2 weekends a month. With Hubs being a shift worker as well, we will often go weeks without having a day off together and many days I wont seen him from 4am until 11pm.

Before I get too far into this, yes I do realize its a job when so many people are without one. It does pay pretty decent, and I do get benefits and a pension. I'm not knocking anyone else who does this type of work, because honestly, someone has to do it, and if you enjoy it or need to do it to make ends meet then I'm happy for you. I'm just at a point where I'm not happy with what I'm doing and I need a change. I want to feel like I'm challenging myself and giving back and helping others.

Today I decided to make a change and do something about my unhappiness....I finally decided to take the plunge and sign up for an online medical transcriptionist course. It's a 12 month course, all online (so I can still work full time at my current job) and will hopefully enable me to move more towards I want to be in life. Being a medical transcriptionist will allow me to make even better pay, and a high possibility for being able to work from home. This alone is such a huge incentive. Since Hubs and I want kids and both work shiftwork, daycare bills would be astronomical. Besides what better then to stay at home and raise my own kids, while still being able to work! I start the course tuesday so we shall see how it goes. But right now I'm so excited to be taking a much needed step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment