Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Staying Organized

Working full time, shift work and going to school full time means I really have to stay focused and organized to keep on track. I try to get a lot of school work done on nights/weekends that hubs is working so that when we do get time off together I can spend it with him. 

I try to keep up on the household chores by doing a little bit each day. This could mean throwing in a load of laundry while I'm studying, turning on the dishwasher, sweeping the floors, emptying the dishwasher in the morning before work, and keeping up on the few dishes I hand wash. I find if I don't leave the laundry piled high, or the dishwasher full its easier and less intimidating when it comes time to do housework. I'll even clean the bathroom in chunks. One day it could be the sink, the next the toilet, and the tub after I've showered. Hubs is a big help when it comes to housework as well. Often times he will throw in a load of laundry before he heads to work or puts on the dishwasher, so by the time I get home I just put the clothes in the dryer or empty the dishwasher. 

I also try to get my lunch ready for work the night before so I'm not scrambling in the morning. This means if I'm running late I can just grab it and go and not be tempted to buy lunch at work. I always keep a couple bucks in my lunch bag just in case my salad isn't enough or I want something hot to drink. I also keep extra snacks in my bag just in case the munchies hit.

In my current position I don't wear a uniform so I make sure to lay out my clothes the night before. This means I'm not figuring out what to wear at 5 in the morning or waking up hubs while I dig through my dresser.

I also always try and get everything rounded up the night before and put it in my bag for work. This means my keys are in my purse, my sweater is in my bag, my water bottle is cleaned and by the sink. It only takes a few extra minutes but saves lots of time in the morning from frantically looking for my keys.

Sometimes when I'm prepping my lunch I'll cut extra veggies for the next couple days. It saves the prep work and only gets dishes dirty once.

Do you have any organizational tips or tricks you use?

1 comment:

  1. I have an agenda, an old fashion paper one. Sure I could use my cell phone but I realized I am usually on the phone or texting trying to make plans and need to look at a paper copy. I schedule self-care and a social life into my schedule as well.

    I also find using my notes on my phone helps, I create To Do lists and To Buy lists and they helps me when I go to the store I can look at what I need to do. Also helps with time management for me.

    I hear you on the shift work bit it can get challenging. Sounds like you do a good job of keeping organized and using your time wisely!

    ReplyDelete