Saturday, July 20, 2013

Watermelon Cake

I first was inspired by this idea on Pinterest. I decided to try it out at work one afternoon when it was super hot, and I felt the diners would enjoy something a little lighter for dessert during the summer heat.

You can Google search watermelon cake and get many different recipe's but here is my version. It really is pretty simple.

Ingredients:

* Watermelon
* Fresh Fruit
*Whipped Cream
* Coconut/nuts optional

Directions:

1) Take a watermelon and cut it in half width wise (I.e. around the middle).
2) Then cut off the green skin of the watermelon.
3) You can shape your cake however you want (i.e. circle, square, etc). I usually make mine octagonal shaped. Also, depending on how large your watermelon is you can cut the half into another half so its not so tall.
4) Next I place the watermelon onto a baking sheet or a fancy plate.
5) I then precut the watermelon into slices. Then push the slices together. (I did the first one without precutting slices and it was tricky to cut as watermelon is hard)
6) I pat the watermelon dry to remove excess water to help the whipped cream to stick to it.
7) Next I "ice" the watermelon with whipped cream. I usually make my own using whipping cream, vanilla and sugar to taste. You can use canned frosting, or coconut cream instead of whipped cream, but I like the lightness of fresh whipping cream. I then beat the whipping cream until it stiffens and forms peaks.
8) Once iced, I use various fruits cut up to make a design on the cake (See pictures below).
9) You can glaze the fruit to make it look shinier if you prefer.
10) You can also use a thicker coulis or chocolate syrup (or other syrups) to make neat designs on the sides of the cake (as in my pictures below).
11) Another version I have seen is crushed nuts or coconut stuck on the sides of the cake.
12) Keep in the fridge until ready to eat.

I recommend not making the cake more then 1 day ahead of when you plan on eating it as the water starts coming out of the watermelon.



No comments:

Post a Comment