Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tips and Tricks I've picked up

I've been with my Hubs for a little over 3 years now and we have been married just over a year. Before moving in with Hubs I lived with my parents. So it was a big transition for me to go from living at home to being completely independant. Moving out on your own means your responsible for the bills, the cooking, cleaning, and everything else that comes with living on your own. Luckily when I moved in with Hubs, he had most of the basics already (i.e. dishes, cups, cutlery, pots/pans, basic furniture, etc) so I was able to move in, and overtime, with Hubs, build on those basics. Over the few years I've lived on my own with Hubs, I've picked up a few tips and tricks to keeping the household running smoothly and I thought I would pass them along:

*Always keep on top of the laundry throughout the week (This prevents having to do piles of laundry on the weekend). Hubs and I will often set the washer to start just before we get home so the laundry is ready to be popped into the dryer.
*Never leave dirty dishes in the sink, always put them in the dishwasher or wash them right away.
*Unload the dishwasher when the dishes are clean so your more likely to put in the dirty dishes right away
*Always fold laundry right away. Even if its not put away, then at least it doesn't wrinkle.
*Do small cleaning tasks daily so you don't have a large to do list on days off
*Clean up as you go
*Sort Mail ASAP (When I get mail, I look at it right away and make a pile for bills, recycle the junk mail, look at flyers and make a list of sales, then recyle the flyers)
*Make a cleaning schedule (my cleaning schedule isn't specific as in Mondays=laundry, tuesdays=vaccuming, but I make blocks for cleaning. Usually this means I'll take a couple hours while Hubs is working and vaccum, do laundry, dust, etc)
*Keep a list for grocery and toiletry items that are running low
*Buy and stock up on sale (I don't go as far as the extreme couponing show, however if its a good sale and the item can last a while I stock up. Why spend $4.99 for 1 bottle of shampoo each time you need it when you can buy it on sale for $1.50. I do this for many items we use regularily and it stops us from running to the store and spending top dollar when we run out unexpectedly)

No comments:

Post a Comment