Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pumpkin Pie and pumpkin loaf

Since Hubs and I will be away for Thanksgiving this year, I figured that I should do a little fall baking now so we can enjoy a little pumpkin before we leave. Earlier this year I had made a pumpkin pie, however, I had made way to much filling. I froze over a 1kg of the premixed filling for a later use. Today that frozen mix came in handy. I let it thaw in water in the fridge for most of the day and made up a pie crust. Thats right, I make my own pie crust with my grandmother's recipe and unfortunately I won't be giving it out at this time (It's a family secret). Having made to much filling months ago actually made baking today easier, because half the work was already done.
I had just enough filling left over to make a pumpkin loaf. I found a recipe online last fall and saved it to my recipe's as it came out a success and tasted delicious.

Here is the recipe taken from http://www.kitchentotable.com/recipes/dessert/pumpkin-loaf.php.

  • 1 ¼ cups Brown sugar
  • ½ cup Cooking oil
  • 1 2/3 cups Cooked or canned pumpkin
  • 2 Eggs
  • 2 ½ cups All purpose flour
  • 3 tsp Baking powder
  • ½ tsp each Salt, ginger, & ground cloves
  • 1 ¼ tsp cinnamon
Beat together 1 cup sugar, oil, pumpkin & eggs.
In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, cloves, and 1 tsp cinnamon.
Combine pumpkin mixture with dry ingredients just enough to moisten all ingredients.
Spoon into 2 lightly greased loaf pans.
Mix remaining ¼ cup brown sugar and ¼ tsp cinnamon.
Sprinkle over unbaked loaves.
Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
Cool slightly and remove from pans.
Makes 2 loaves.

Another great recipe I made last year was pumpkin muffins. Feel free to check out the recipe as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment